Find out about SSE fibre broadband deals
Fibre broadband is the latest network technology. It offers the fastest speeds, flexible connection options and is rapidly spreading across the country. While still geographically limited, more properties than ever before can access fibre broadband. All UK major providers offer fibre and SSE Broadband is no different.
Fibre broadband can be laid directly into your property (known as Fibre To The Home - FTTP) or delivered to the street cabinet and then use your existing copper telephone wire (FTTC). FTTP connections are much faster but only available to a small percentage. FTTC connections are a little slower but are available in many more areas of the UK, and when we talk about fibre optic broadband it is usually in reference to this type of fibre technology because that's what most of us can get.
Can I get SSE fibre broadband in my area?
SSE fibre broadband uses the BT Openreach telephone network so is usually available wherever BT has laid fibre optic cables. That currently stands at 95% of households within the UK and is expanding steadily. With speeds that average around 54.2Mbps, it’s an excellent option where available.
Use this SSE fibre broadband postcode checker to see if you can access it:
Our guide on getting fibre broadband has a lot of useful information if you want to explore the subject further.
How do I get SSE fibre broadband?
The process for accessing SSE fibre broadband is exactly the same as accessing any other non-cable (Virgin Media) broadband provider, and SSE will do most of the work for you. All you need to do is compare, order, agree the contract and be home if an engineer needs to visit.
The process works like this:
- Use the our fibre broadband checker to make sure it is available at your property.
- Compare SSE to other providers to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
- Select the package that best suits your requirements.
- Wait for SSE to contact you to confirm your order and arrange an engineer if necessary.
- Connect your router and enjoy your new fibre broadband!
Typically, switching broadband provider takes around 14 working days. An engineer visit is not always necessary but SSE will discuss this with you and arrange a time if required. They will send you a modem or router if you don’t need an engineer visit.
If you want to know more about switching broadband provider, our guide on the subject goes into lots more detail.
What fibre broadband packages does SSE offer?
SSE has two fibre broadband packages, Unlimited Fibre and Unlimited Fibre Plus. Both offer superfast broadband speeds and include line rental.
SSE Unlimited Fibre
SSE Unlimited Fibre is the cheaper and slightly slower option. It has an average speed of 35Mbps and costs £23 per month. That price includes line rental and has the option of adding extra features.
SSE Unlimited Fibre Plus
SSE Unlimited Fibre Plus is the faster of the two packages with an average speed of 63Mbps. It costs £28 per month which includes line rental.
Is SSE fibre broadband any good?
SSE fibre broadband prices may be very competitive but what are the pros and cons?
- Comparative cost and speed to other providers.
- SSE Rewards.
- A price promise for the duration of your contract.
- A ‘Happiness Guarantee’ that promises to release you from your contract within the first 60 days if you’re not happy.
- No connection charges or setup fees. (Engineer visit will cost extra)
We don't like...
- Dependent on your BT Openreach network coverage.
- Routers are not the fastest or most powerful.
- Potential extra cost for engineer visit.
- Uses traffic management at peak times.
SSE vs BT, Sky, TalkTalk, and Virgin Media
How does EE stack up against other popular providers in terms of speed, price and extras?
|Provider||Average speeds||Cheapest price||Fastest package price||Notable extras|
|SSE||35Mb / 63Mb||£23 (35Mb)||£28 (63Mb)||SSE rewards.|
|BT||36Mb / 50Mb / 67Mb||£26.99 (36Mb)||£39.99 (67Mb)||Free Wi-Fi. Free BT Sport 1.|
|Sky||36Mb / 59Mb||£27 (36Mb)||£39 (59Mb)||Free Wi-Fi.|
|TalkTalk||36Mb / 67Mb||£23.50 (38Mb)||£23.50 (67Mb)|
|Virgin Media||54Mb / 108Mb / 213Mb / 362Mb / 518Mb||£26 (108Mb)||£89 (516Mb)||Free Wi-Fi.|
While not the very cheapest around, SSE compares favourably to other budget providers, with its fastest fibre package starting at under £30, and the entry level package available for just a smidgen over £20.
Is SSE fibre broadband right for me?
SSE fibre broadband compares well to the competition. There may be minor compromises when it comes to speed but SSE is cheaper than many competitors. But do you really need fibre broadband? SSE also offers ADSL Unlimited Broadband for only £11 per month. If you don’t need the speed, that’s quite a lot cheaper than fibre. If you’re only checking emails or browsing the web then cheap ADSL may be perfectly adequate.
Get SSE fibre broadband if…
- You stream movies or TV shows. You will appreciate the extra speed for HD or UHD streaming.
- You have a busy household. With multiple users you will need the speed and the unlimited downloads.
- You’re a gamer. Gamers will want the fastest possible speeds so you can be competitive online, and download the latest releases.
- You work from home. If your broadband is used for work then you'll need reliable, fast broadband with no data caps or limitations.