All about Virgin Media fibre broadband deals
Fibre broadband is a type of internet connection that uses high-speed fibre optic cables, rather than the basic ASDL broadband lines. This kind of connectivity is now available throughout the UK, for prices cheaper than ever before.
Fibre deals are available from lots of providers, but Virgin Media broadband offers something a little different. It uses its own network and has speeds that are five times faster than those on the Openreach (BT line) network used by most other providers.
Can I get Virgin Media fibre broadband in my area?
Virgin Media broadband uses its own network separate from the phone lines used by most other providers, with a high-performance cable that runs from the cabinet to your home for better performance. Virgin's proprietary cabling helps to deliver faster downstream speeds, no matter how far you are from the cabinet. However, you will need to be in a region that Virgin Media serves.
Enter your postcode into our Virgin fibre checker to see whether you can get the high-speed connectivity you need:
Broadband Genie postcode checkerWhy do we need your postcode?
Why do we need your postcode?
Want to know more about getting Virgin? Check out our guide to Virgin Media availability.
How do I get Virgin Media fibre broadband?
Getting fibre connectivity from Virgin Media is easier than you'd think. Here's what you need to do to get started:
1. Check availability in your area: Enter a postcode into the fibre checker above, or on any of our comparison pages, to see if Virgin is available what kind of speeds you can get.
2. Compare. Check out our offers and use our comparison tools to get the cheapest prices for your fibre broadband.
3. Sign up. Click your chosen deal to visit the Virgin Media broadband page and sign up for an account.
4. Wait for activation. Choose your activation date with Virgin Media (usually it takes around 14 days to be activated) and wait for your router to arrive.
5. Setup and get online. If you need an engineer visit you'll need to be in when the work is carried out. If you already have a Virgin Media socket in your home you can simply plug in your free router on the day of activation.
Remember that fibre broadband from Virgin Media comes with a minimum account contract period lasting between 12 and 18 months. You will need to pay extra to leave the service before your contract has ended. To find out more about switching broadband, check out our guide to switching. You'll learn everything you need to know about switching from EE, BT, or any other provider over to Virgin Media.
What fibre broadband packages does Virgin Media offer?
Virgin Media fibre broadband is available with five different speeds - 54Mb, 108Mb, 213Mb, 362Mb and 516Mb.
When comparing Virgin fibre deals, use the filters in our comparison table to choose the features you want and narrow down the options.
Is Virgin Media Fibre broadband any good?
So, should you try Virgin Media fibre broadband? It all comes down to your preferences. Every provider has its pros and cons.
- Exceptional speeds which are significantly faster than many other providers
- Get broadband without a phone line
- Loads of bundles to choose from
- Premium TV options
We don't like…
- Not always the cheapest packages
- You must be in a Virgin network area
Virgin Media fibre broadband vs. BT, EE, Sky, and TalkTalk
|Provider||Average speeds||Cheapest price||Fastest package price||Notable extras|
|Virgin Media||54Mb / 108Mb / 213Mb / 362Mb / 518Mb||£28 (54Mb)||£79 (516Mb)||Free Wi-Fi.|
|EE||36Mb / 67Mb||£23 (36Mb)||£27 (67Mb)||Mobile data boost.|
|BT||36Mb / 50Mb / 67Mb||£24.99 (36Mb)||£29.99 (67Mb)||Free Wi-Fi. Cheap BT Sport.|
|Sky||59Mb||£27 (59Mb)||£27 (59Mb)||Free Wi-Fi.|
|TalkTalk||38Mb / 67Mb||£23.50 (38Mb)||£26 (67Mb)|
(Prices correct as of 31/03/2020 - prices may be subject to change)
Virgin Media is an excellent competitor in the fibre broadband landscape. It's capable of offering relatively low prices compared to other providers and has some seriously high-speed connections available. If you're looking for the fastest fibre speeds on the market, then Virgin Media could be the ideal choice. However, there are cheaper packages out there.
Is Virgin Media fibre internet right for me?
While Virgin Media offers some great options for fibre connectivity, not everyone needs fibre optic broadband services. Although it's great to have high-speed internet, you can save some serious cash by sticking with ADSL if you don't need a great deal of connectivity speed. If you're the only person using your broadband package, or you don't do a lot of video streaming or downloading, then standard broadband could be fine for you.
Get Virgin Media fibre if…
- More than one person uses your broadband. If you share your broadband with other members of your family, or people in your household, fibre will give you a better performance.
- You download a lot of files. Larger file downloads can take a long time with ADSL, but it's much easier to download with speed using fibre optic broadband.
- You upload a lot. If you send a lot of files to the internet, like videos, pictures, or documents, then fibre optic broadband will help you to do this faster.
- You stream a lot of video. If you use streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime to watch high-definition videos, fibre optic broadband from Virgin Media will help to stop your videos from buffering.
- You're a gamer. If you play a lot of games over the internet, fibre will help you to enjoy the latest releases faster and reduce your lag during multi-player sessions.