What is a broadband and TV bundle?
If it’s likely you’ll want to make good use of streaming subscriptions, you might find it pays off to opt for a bundled TV and broadband deal. It’s a great way of trimming down your admin, your bills and saving confusion. You’ll know that both services are handled by one company, and all paid for with one monthly fee.
At the high end, you’ll find fast speeds and all the sports and film channels you could ever dream of. But there are more basic options available too, if you just need to want to add specific channels.
Let’s look at your options...
Should I get a TV and broadband deal?
Not sure if a broadband and TV deal is right for you? Let’s run through some pros and cons to help you decide.
|We like||We don't like|
What types of TV package deals are there?
There are various kinds of packages you’ll find bundled with broadband. They are:
Freeview+ optional premium add-ons
BT and TalkTalk both offer broadband and TV bundles with TV boxes.
These are Freeview receivers which also include support for streaming TV and premium channels. The boxes provide handy pause and rewind for live TV, and some models have a hard drive for recording.
With flexible packages and a decent choice of extras on top of the Freeview line-up, these are an excellent middle ground between free broadcast TV and premium cable and satellite services.
Satellite TV from Sky offers loads of channels. You also get a Sky TV box with recording and streaming access to on-demand content.
But this is at the premium end of the broadband and TV market. While you can choose a basic Sky TV service, the best channels are only available with pricier subscriptions. Unless you sign up to Sky Glass you'll also need to install a satellite dish at your home.
You’ll need an underground cable installed to get this service from Virgin Media. However, it’s more expensive than some other broadband and TV providers. It's also only available in Virgin network areas (which covers around half of homes around the UK).
Between paid services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and free catch-up from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5, there’s more than enough to keep you occupied.
NOW, Vodafone and Sky Stream offer streaming TV and broadband bundles. With Vodafone, you get an Apple TV box that supports catch-up streaming such as iPlayer, as well as a vast library of movies and TV shows to rent or buy from iTunes.
Which providers offer TV and broadband deals?
BT TV and broadband deals
An affordable service, you can choose from five different packages to add to your broadband service. What’s best is that these are very flexible, and you can chop and change on a monthly basis.
There’s a large channel selection, thanks to a partnership with NOW TV. This gives you the option to add a TV subscription for the likes of Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Atlantic and Sky Comedy. You can also include TNT Sports channels, including TNT Sports Ultimate in Ultra High-Definition.
Netflix is now included in BT’s Entertainment bundles, or as an add-on for sport packages.
NOW TV and broadband deals
Great value flexible internet and TV bundles. Keep your eyes peeled! Occasionally, these bundled TV deals include one-month contract length options.
With NOW Broadband and bundled TV, you can get easy access Sky TV channels without a satellite dish. Add sports, movies, entertainment and kids TV channel bundles without signing up for a long contract. This makes it the most flexible way to get all 11 Sky Sports channels.
It’s worth noting, you can sign up to NOW TV regardless of who supplies your broadband connection.
Sky boasts a huge selection of channels via the award-winning Sky Q box, with optional add-on packs such as Sky Sports, TNT Sports, Sky Cinema. You can also add on Netflix and Disney+ as an optional extra, which you’re free to cancel at any time.
TalkTalk’s TV deals are low-budget bundles with unlimited internet. Some packages include a TV box with no additional running costs, and you can choose to add premium entertainment channels for a small monthly fee. You can also access apps like Amazon Prime, Netflix and NOW straight from your TV.
Like Sky, Virgin has hundreds of channels. It also offers ultrafast internet with top speeds over 1Gb and an option for internet without a phone. It's only available in Virgin network areas.
Vodafone TV deals
Vodafone also offers broadband and TV deals as an add-on, but the TV service is limited to Apple TV, so won't come with any traditional channels.
Which broadband and TV bundles offer the best TV channels?
|TNT Sports (previously known as 'BT Sport')||(including Premier League, Champions League football, Premiership Rugby, MotoGP, Cricket, Boxing and WWE)||BT, Sky, EE and Virgin Media|
|Sky Atlantic||including best TV programmes from the States such as Succession, The White House Plumbers and The Last of Us)||Sky Broadband, NOW, BT (with NOW TV Entertainment Pass), TalkTalk (with NOW TV Entertainment Pass)|
|Sky Cinema||includes all 11 Sky Cinema channels||Sky Broadband, NOW, BT (with NOW TV Entertainment Pass), Virgin Media, TalkTalk (with NOW TV Entertainment Pass)|
|Sky Sports||includes all 11 Sky Sport channels||Sky Broadband, NOW, BT (with NOW TV Entertainment Pass), TalkTalk (with NOW TV Entertainment Pass), Virgin Media|
What to look out for with a TV deal
- Speed: Download speed is important when looking for a new broadband and TV deal, as you won’t want your streaming services to be interrupted by buffering.
- Channels: Make sure you’re happy with the selection of TV channels. If you’re a keen sports viewer, take a look through the listings carefully.
- Setup cost: These can be higher with broadband and TV deals. The charge to new customers is normally to cover the cost of TV boxes, their delivery, as well as the additional processes required to activate a broadband and TV deal.
- Monthly cost: The amount you pay per month is key to you getting a great deal! Do bear in mind that some providers will increase prices with inflation, and most will increase prices at the end of your contract, so make sure you know when to renew or switch! Check out our cheap broadband page for the lowest monthly costs.
- Rewards/Effective monthly cost: Rewards such as vouchers can lower the 'effective' cost each month if you were going to spend them anyway. To see the special offers and reward cards available right now from different providers, visit our free gifts page.
What broadband speed do I need?
This does depend on how many devices you have using the service at any given time; use the following as a good rule of thumb:
- One device: A simple ADSL with a broadband speed of 10Mb/11Mb should be OK but we would still recommend fibre as the best choice for most people.
- Two to three devices: Look for a superfast broadband option. An average download speed of 35-50Mb should be sufficient.
- Three to four devices: Aim for 65Mb fibre broadband. Five+ devices: An average speed of 100Mb+ might be your best bet for a comfortable streaming experience.
What are the alternatives to broadband and TV bundles?
- Cheap broadband and Freeview: If you're happy with the channels you can get on Freeview, then simply look for the best value broadband deal to suit your needs.
- Cheap broadband and NOW TV: One option is to look for the best value broadband deal and then add a NOW TV pass (you'll need a smart TV, Chromecast or a NOW TV box/Stick for this). This is often the cheapest option if you're looking at separate TV and Broadband bundles.
- Separate TV and broadband bundles: If you're confident you can get a cheap broadband deal and cheap TV deal separately, then this is perfectly possible. It's quite a rare occurrence, though!
Frequently asked questions about Broadband and TV deals
How is TV and broadband installed?
For all broadband providers, except Sky, broadband and TV packages have everything installed at the same time. If included, you'll get a TV box in the post in addition to your Wi-Fi router. You can read more about the process in our guide to broadband installation.
Sky will install a satellite dish at your property. This requires a small amount of external work and a small hole in the wall for cables.
What are the upfront costs? Will it cost more to get TV and broadband installed?
Quite often, it will cost a little more upfront for broadband and TV deals than for broadband-only deals. This is generally to cover the cost of extras such as the TV box.
Is it cheaper to buy TV and broadband separately?
It can be, but it's often cheaper to bundle packages together. If you have a certain package in mind in can be a good option to find the cheapest broadband package available, then see if there's a NOW TV pass with the channels you are after.
Can I get broadband, phone and TV in a bundle?
A landline is usually required for internet access, so the majority of broadband and TV packages will include some kind of home phone service. You may not get inclusive phone deals such as free weekend calls as part of the bargain, but every provider offers inclusive call add-ons for an additional fee.
Can I get broadband and TV without a phone line?
Virgin Media and BT are the only major providers that can offer broadband and TV bundles without a phone service (although you do still need a line for them). All other packages include phone line rental and may also come with inclusive calls. Of course, you don’t have to use the phone for calls, but in most cases, an active line is required for the broadband to work.
You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to broadband and TV packages. Many different providers give the option of either signing up to a dedicated bundled deal, or offer up flexible add-ons.
Before you commit to a contract, take the time to get to know which channels are included in a package and the content that’s shown on them. You won’t want to be tied into a contract for channels you’ll never watch.
For their flexibility, the NOW TV passes probably offer the best selection whilst giving you the freedom to look for a broadband package that suits you. Plus, you don’t have to get tied into a long contract.
For a full list of the dedicated Broadband and TV deals available to your home, pop your postcode or address into our deals checker. Don’t forget you can sort by price, contract length and speed to fine tune the results!