Got questions about finding a free gift when you switch to a new broadband provider? You’ve come to the right place. Here, we’ll answer all your questions about broadband deals with freebies.
Can I get broadband with free gifts?
Yes, it’s worth shopping around to find a great broadband deal that comes with the perfect gift to suit you. These perks can squeeze more value from your provider when you buy or switch broadband.
What free gifts can I get with my broadband plan?
There are lots of perks and bonuses to choose from. Let’s run through the main ones:
Shopping vouchers & gift cards
Vouchers for specific stores, or high street vouchers for a wide variety of shops, are easy to spot when browsing broadband plan perks. Amazon gift cards are most common.
Reward cards and prepaid credit cards
Prepaid credit cards like the BT Virtual Reward Card are a fantastic bonus as they can be spent almost anywhere.
Free gadgets: speakers, TVs, games consoles and more
These are rarer, but occasionally an internet deal will include a free gadget. In the past, we’ve seen free Bluetooth speakers, televisions, games consoles, Apple TV boxes, and even free laptops.
Cashback deals provide a cash payment after you sign up, usually in the form of a cheque.
However, cashback perks are fairly rare nowadays, though you can still find cashback deals with Plusnet from time to time.
Bill credit deals give you a discount on the monthly payment, with the money automatically applied to your broadband bill until the credit is used up. These are less common than reward cards but are often found with free gift deals from Shell Energy Broadband, Virgin Media, and Plusnet.
Some providers offer to make your first few months free to motivate you to make the switch. These deals tend to come around during special sale events such as Black Friday.
Which broadband providers offer free gifts and vouchers?
All of the big players in the broadband world offer perks and freebies. Here’s a roundup of recent deals we’ve found using our Broadband Genie comparison tables:
- BT: Reward cards up to £200.
- TalkTalk: £0 setup free and Amazon vouchers.
- Sky: M&S shopping vouchers.
- Virgin Media: Free Bluetooth speakers, vouchers for Amazon, M&S, and John Lewis.
- EE: Vouchers up to £100.
- Plusnet: Reward cards of up to £75.
In addition to the free gifts given by broadband providers, you can also add more value with our Broadband Genie exclusive offers.
We regularly offer extra vouchers on top of a freebie from a broadband provider. These special vouchers are only available on packages bought online through us.
Set a reminder to check our Black Friday Broadband Deals page in November. This is where we highlight the best offers.
Broadband and free gifts: how to get the best deal
If you're looking for a particular added bonus with your next broadband package, we've got you covered. Let’s run through some of the things that are always helpful to consider when searching for a great deal.
It’s irritating if your home broadband won’t run as fast as you need. Guarantee yourself a stress-free switch to a new provider and find a broadband deal that’ll give you the right speed. Whether or not you get a freebie out of it, you’ll need a deal that gives you broadband speeds that suit your needs.
We’ve got a helpful rule of thumb you can follow to figure this out.
- ADSL/Standard broadband (~10Mb): Suitable for a single user, or a couple of people only using the internet occasionally.
- Basic fibre (~35Mb): Suitable for 2-3 users at the same time. These entry-level fibre broadband packages are our recommended minimum for most homes.
- Faster fibre (~65Mb): Suitable for 4-5 simultaneous users.
- Full-fibre/FTTP & Virgin Media (100Mb+): Ultrafast fibre broadband is suitable for 6+ users at the same time.
When we’ve used the term ‘user’ here, what we mean is a device streaming HD television, gaming or video calling. Essentially, any activity you carry out using your broadband that’ll use a lot of bandwidth.
Here are some more factors to consider when shopping for a bonus with your next package.
The best way to get value from an internet deal is to look for a low monthly cost.
The cheapest broadband deals are usually ADSL internet services. This kind of internet package offers cheap broadband using the landline telephone cables that span the UK.
However, the technology was not designed with data in mind and is slow by modern standards. ADSL will struggle with anything more demanding than web browsing, especially if more than one person is online at the same time.
Fibre broadband is much better value for money. It is widely available, provides far better download speeds, and prices start at around the same cost as an ADSL service.
A free gift can be an important part of a great deal. Look at the 'effective monthly cost' to see how much impact a gift will make. Consider its value to you. Do you regularly shop with Amazon? Then that £50 Amazon voucher could be an extra delicious cherry on top of your switching experience. If you wouldn’t have used the free voucher though, consider whether it really represents the best value for you.
Many providers offer free setup. But setup costs are usually quite cheap so this is less impactful than a low monthly cost and added perks. However, do keep an eye out for reduced or free setup on broadband and TV bundle deals, as this can add up to a bigger saving.
Contract length is also worth considering. Deals tend to come in 12, 18 and 24-month contracts. Short-term options are available but they tend to be poorer value than these longer-term options. The main benefit of sticking to a shorter contract is you can switch earlier to get a better deal if you spot one. The general rule is, the longer you sign up for, the more value and perks you can unlock.
So, if you've got a fantastic monthly price you may want to lock that in on a longer broadband contract.
With a bundle deal you can add a TV or phone package to your broadband plan and save more money. We can’t guarantee it, but we’ve noticed bundles can also offer higher rewards than equivalent broadband-only packages.
Finally, a key factor to consider is data. We always recommend unlimited broadband so you can rest assured you won’t have your browsing limited or get caught off guard by fees.
We only list unlimited providers on Broadband Genie.
So, should I get a cheaper deal over a free gift?
Here’s some of our advice when weighing up whether you should get a cheaper deal over a free gift.
- Don’t be swayed by a freebie: while gifts offer a nice extra it’s important to choose a package with the right features for you at an affordable price. This is where looking at 'effective monthly cost' is useful so you get an idea of the deal's true value.
- Go for vouchers you’ll definitely use: this is where pre-paid reward cards win (thanks BT and Plusnet!) as these are a lot more flexible than shopping vouchers.
- Take your time to shop around on Broadband Genie: It can pay to consider all of the deals available to you. Cheaper deals often have longer contracts, but flexible contracts are also available if you can't commit to 12 months at a time. Enter a postcode and see what’s on offer in your area.
- Add everything up: take into account the full cost of a broadband package, including setup and other upfront fees. Don't neglect crucial features, such as the speed and data usage limit. If you've got a cheap deal for your phone and TV already, you could also look at broadband only deals.
Your best bet is to find your ideal package first. Then if it also has a free gift, consider it a bonus!
How do I claim my gift?
The process for claiming a freebie varies.
Some providers may require you to simply enter an email address, others have a lengthier process. It may not require any effort on your part, some vouchers and discounts are automatically applied to your bill.
Read the terms and conditions carefully to make sure you understand the process and are aware of any time limits. You might also wish to take screengrabs of the offer, or retain emails and other promotional material, in case of a dispute.
If the offer is a Broadband Genie exclusive you can read our guide to claiming your broadband reward. If you’ve got any questions, please contact us, a member of the team would be happy to help you make the most of your freebie.
When will my ISP send my gift?
Free gifts such as vouchers, cards and gadgets will typically be sent a few weeks after the service has been activated. Setup discounts and cashback in the form of bill credits will be applied at the appropriate time. Again, make sure to read the small print which will usually give you the best idea of time frames.
What free gifts are available now?
We’ve made it simple for you to browse broadband deals with free gifts. For the most up-to-date collection of individual Wi-Fi deals go take a look at our broadband rewards hub. Or, alternatively, check out the following pages:
- BT free gifts: BT often offers reward cards, Amazon Vouchers and even free tech
- Plusnet free gifts: Another prolific gift giver, Plusnet regularly offer cashback or pre-paid Mastercards.
- Vodafone free gifts: Check our Vodafone reward page for the latest freebies.
- TalkTalk rewards and free gifts: We occasionally get exclusive Amazon Vouchers with TalkTalk, why not see what's available?
- Virgin free gifts: Virgin Media has been known to offer everything from bill credit to free headphones.
- NOW rewards: In the past, NOW broadband has offered vouchers for Tesco, Lastminute.com and more.
- John Lewis Broadband vouchers: John Lewis occasionally offer free vouchers with their broadband deals.
Next up, we’ll run through some of the common questions we get asked about perks and gifts.
Frequently asked questions
Will I get a free Wi-Fi router?
Most unlimited internet packages include a Wi-Fi router at no extra cost. The free router is used to access the internet and share the connection around your home. Some providers will require a small payment for postage.
What are prepaid cards and how do they work?
Prepaid cards, or reward cards, are credit cards that come preloaded with credit. These may be preferable to shopping vouchers as the money can be spent in a range of stores.
However, in some cases, you may not receive a physical card but an electronic virtual card. In which case you may only be able to spend this online.
How do I find what gifts are currently available?
To begin your search, enter a postcode into our comparison table so we can see what broadband is available in your area.
You can find out which deals come with gifts by looking at the ‘offers’ section in our comparison table. To view more information about the gift, click ‘offer details and pricing’.
There are some fantastic perks and freebies to be found when shopping on Broadband Genie for your next package. While they make a great extra, always compare a few options and weigh up whether it represents the best value to you overall. Consider any unseen costs, contract length and broadband speeds before being swayed by a voucher. If your broadband deal is a perfect fit and it comes with a free treat that you’re excited about then that’s fantastic!
Got questions about a Broadband Genie voucher you signed up for? Use the voucher tracker to get the most up to date information.